Cacti graph data not displayed - except in realtime...

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

dcox

Cacti graph data not displayed - except in realtime...

Post by dcox »

Problem:
Cacti creates graphs but no data is ever displayed with standard graphs.

Environment:
Fresh install on Win 2008R2 box (VM server).
Cacti Version 0.8.8a
RRDTool Version 1.4.X (probably 1.4.4)

Additional Details:
Network scan found everything without issues, configured about 50 items and have SNMP comms working.

Interesting thing - The "realtime" plugin works perfectly and graphs for realtime displays are showing data. So, Cacti is able to collect data and display data over time (in realtime graphs).

Go figure!

I tried enabling all the data sources and devices and enabled monitoring on all devices - no change.
All templates are enabled - to play it safe...

Still no luck after 24+ hours.

Any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Let me know if you need more data on this.

Thanks,

Danny
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Re: Cacti graph data not displayed - except in realtime...

Post by BSOD2600 »

When reading http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11747 and the linked debugging guide, did you find out more details on the failure?
dcox

Post by dcox »

Found nothing.

Interesting thing is that after installing realtime template, everything started working.

There is something odd about Cacti for a Windows environment. I have see it on several installations that discovery takes hours before showing anything and the graphs take even longer.

Not sure why. I just started a new config for a different facility and am waiting for discovery to show stuff - been about 1.5 hours already.

Think I may bounce the box and see if it starts to load devices.

FYI - I did same thing on this unit and realtime is already showing data, but static graphs are empty...

I'll check it again in another hour and then once more tomorrow.

Thanks,

Danny
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

There are no errors in the cacti.log?
What is the error when enabling graph debugging?
dcox

Post by dcox »

That's just it. I do not see any graph errors. It just takes forever to start show anything. Once it's there, everything is solid.

All working now. I just wished I knew why it took so long to display anything...

Thanks,

Danny
pianograndpulp

Post by pianograndpulp »

Resurrecting this really really old thread... but I've now seen this several times on a new build as well. This time on Linux, however... Building out test environments. This happens to be a few Docker instances running on CentOS/Ubuntu... Deploy some datasources and wait about 6-12 hours... And then around midnight - everything starts running. Reboots don't matter either. Did you happen to find any solution? Or is it just a waiting game?

Thanks!

_DS
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

Sounds almost like a boost problem. The data is in the boost tables but not updated to the RRD's until either time elapses or there's enough data to force a flush.
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation
pianograndpulp

Post by pianograndpulp »

I was thinking the same thing. Except it's a new install which means boost isn't enabled (and it wasn't). But sure enough - about an hour after I posted this message - graphs started showing data. The hour prior - the RRDs timestamps were being updated after every polling and the "RRDsProcessed" always had a valid number of RRDs. ** scratches head **

Edit: It's for all newly created graphs as well. Added more to an existing device - they don't show any new data even though the RRD time stamps are updating. The existing graphs that started working last night are still showing new data and graphing correctly. So strange...

Thanks!

_DS
pianograndpulp

Post by pianograndpulp »

I built a new server from scratch to do a new test - as well as some additional Docker instance and based on some other threads here - I'm tending to think there's a time zone / database / poller issue somewhere in the midst of this. On one system after rerunning the check DB after a good load of the mysql_tzinfo_to_sql - it seemed to clean it up. On one of my docker trials I think starting up the container with one kind of time zone and then realizing I needed an environmental timezone parameter - kind of made it work for a short while... But I didn't keep it running long enough to debug the scenario. (my troubleshooting description is very much a "long story short" effort here.)

May experiment more to see if I can replicate the scenario and a the fix - but it timezones do start to make sense with trying to update an RRD file in the future (or something...)

Thanks again!

_DS
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

As mentioned in the documentation, all timezones must match. I think there is one caveat to that, but generally the rule of thumb is keep them all on the same timezone.
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation